Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stress isn't good for the baby, right?!

So, this little story isn't so much pregnancy related as it is about the *wonderful* relationship mothers and daughters can have. Specifically - me and my mother! Even though we can yell and be impatient and get mad at each other, we can also just laugh our asses off one second later. And I love that! This is one such story.

It amazes me that I can stand in a line for hours to get to the stage at a Kenny concert, yet you put me in a room with my Mama and a computer and I LOSE MY EFFING MIND! For some reason, trying to teach her computer skills puts me right over the edge of insanity! I really do go into it TRYING to be patient, but I ain't gonna lie....I lose it within minutes. For one thing, she has the slowest computer and I don't do well with slow computers. Shit! I just went and bought myself a new laptop because of how old and slow mine was. The other thing is her "old school" mentality about technology and her fear, for lack of a better word, of fucking something up!!! I truly think that is what it is. She is scared to death she is going to do something wrong, delete something, send something to the wrong person! And the 3rd thing is...I sit there. I write down detailed step by step instructions during our hourS long tutoring sessions and weeks later she says, "well, I haven't done it because I don't know what to do." What?! Are you kidding me?

Today I went over to help her with some stuff on the computer. Sure enough my patience was gone within minutes dealing with the slow computer, the fact that there was the notebook of instructions that I had written down mooooonths ago, and how I would say something and she'd just sit there scared to death to hit enter. And to top it off, her BFF just created a facebook page for her,which throughout today's tutoring session she called "MY FACE". Get it? She's confusing myspace and facebook. Anyways, by the end of the two hours I was seriously a knot of stress. I had a headache pounding (we'll blame a little of  that on the lack of caffiene entering my body). I seriously thought I'd blow. And I didn't want to. I was trying really hard. So we finally just started cracking up every time she'd say "my face." When my stress level was at it's highest she asked something about "myface" again and I just looked at her and laughing said," Listen here....I'm going to slap YOUR FACE if..." and we both just busted out laughing.

And even better was when I showed her how to add an album to her facebook page and the fact that it took hours (okay, maybe minutes, but still....minutes?!) to choose a name for the album. She'd look at me all concerned and say, "What should I name it? Gathering? Get together? Reunion?" She would seriously clear it and write something else. I just laid my head down on the desk and once again we'd start laughing. It was so funny!

But the best was when I was showing her that N had sent her a message, how to click on it, and how to reply. Well,  this stupid ass security thing pops up. I was like, "WTF?" So she sent it that way and then I asked her to send another reply just to see if it would ask the security thing again. Mama said, "What should I say?" And knowing how slowly she types I said in a very dry, slightly annoyed pissed off tone (not really at her this time, but at the stupid facebook security thing...and with the whole past two hours still tied up in a stress knot in my chest), "Just type W-T-F!" And with the most innocent of voices she says, "What does that mean?" all the while about to type it when I answered in that same tone as before and
 said, "WHAT THE FUCK!" She squealed, "Noooooooooo!" and we both lost it and just started laughing our asses off!

Needless to say....that was the end of today's tutoring session. And I SURE could have used a big ass margarita.

1 comment:

HRiley said...

HAHA!! GREAT STORY! Maybe you should create a "MyFace" website in honor of your mother and her technical difficulties! I love that woman, she can make you cuss faster than anyone we know!