Monday, August 11, 2008

That's my Mama, bless her heart!

So everyone is being very supportive of my decision to become a mama. Of course, everyone would LOVE to see Mr. "Right For Me" swoop in and carry me off into the Key West Sunset, but it just ain't happening at the moment. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on that happening. I truly believe it will. But I can't be puttin' the girls on hold. They aren't gettin' any younger, ya know?!

But on with my point... my Mama seems to be the last one on the fence about all of this major life altering brou-ha-ha. It helps when she hears people her age defend and support my decision. on saturday, the day after I did the IUI, I walked in where she and her best friend were sitting and announced "I did it." Though she knew this was all in the works she had not known it was going to happen Friday. It blew them away and Mama, being Mama, had that look of concern and hesitation on her face. She wants to know what I'm going to tell people, tell the child, etc. "What do I tell my friends?" she asked. I told her exactly this, "I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about what I'm doing. First of all, if they are friends of yours/mine you can tell them exactly what I'm telling you. That I am 35 years old and have been single for 12 years. That I haven't even gone on a 3rd date in 12 years! I want to be a mom, and I have the option to try. I am not going to miss out on my opportunity because 'he' hasn't shown up yet. He might show up in 5 years, but I wont' take that chance with my ability to have a baby. And if they aren't friends, but are strangers, you don't have to tell them anything but that I am having a baby and am going to be a single mom - that the father isn't going to be in the picture."

And that is truly how I feel. The people know and love me will support me and who really gives a shit about the rest? So the three of us talked about it some more and then she went to the restroom to finish doing her hair. All of a sudden I hear her yell from the bathroom, "YOU DID IT YESTERDAY?!" Then she came around the corner with her hair all jacked up from her curler she was in the midst of taking out and says again, "YOU DID IT YESTERDAY?" Me- knowing mama as well as I do - knew EXACTLY where she was going with this and replied, "Yes, Mama. I did it on 8-8-08." She squealed, "OMG! This is so going to work then. It's going to happen. I was sitting there yesterday thinking that something special had to happen on 8-8-08!!!" She's a hoot that's for sure.

Later on after we met up for dinner she had bought me a tee-shirt that I could wear on spirit day when the high schools were having their rivalry games. She wanted to make sure she had bought the right size. When I commented I wear a medium but the large would be fine she said, "Well. You might be pregnant." :)

She's coming around.

No comments: